Frederic Ozanam Scholarship Application
The Office of Mission & Values’ Frédéric Ozanam Scholarship Program, begun in the fall of 2004, provides full-time graduate tuition for students who have shown their commitment to leading lives of service inspired by Sts. Vincent de Paul, Louise de Marillac and Blessed Frederic Ozanam. The Division of Mission and Ministry looks for candidates who are immersed in the Vincentian tradition, live out that charism, strive for social justice in their work and are seeking educational opportunities to further their commitment to serve those on the margins. Scholarship recipients promote the Vincentian mission through serving the Chicago and DePaul communities.
The scholarship covers a maximum of two graduate courses each academic quarter plus the quarterly athletic, or a total of six courses and three athletic fees for the entire academic year. While not expected, Ozanam Scholars may have the opportunity to take courses during the Summer Quarter, begining the summer after their first year in the program. Scholarships are renewable for up to three years contingent on adequate progress toward degree completion and meeting program expectations which can be found on the Mission and Ministry website here. Please note that degrees stemming from the College of Law and doctoral programs are not covered by the Frédéric Ozanam Scholarship Program.
The Frédéric Ozanam Scholarship Program 2018 application cycle for the 2018-2019 Academic Year will close at 11:59pm (Central) on Sunday, April 15, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All references must be submitted by the close of the application cycle. Award decisions will be made and notifications will be sent to applicants by the end of April 2018.
In addition to biographical and essay questions, applicants should expect to submit the following materials:
- A one-page, up-to-date résumé
- The contact information for their Post-Graduate Volunteer Program
- The contact information for two references that are not related to the applicant
Top applicants will be able to articulate 1) what is the Vincentian Tradition and how it relates to their personal and professional life, and 2) how their intended degree of study is connected to and will help contribute to the Vincentian Tradition. For more information on the Vincentian Tradition, here are some recommended resources:
- “The Name above the Door” Youtbue video
- “St. Vincent de Paul, A Person of the 17th Century, a Person for the 21st Century” Youtube video
“All Things Vincentian” page on the Mission and Ministry website
- The Vincentian Heritage Journal
FamVin, an international collection of Vincentian resources
- This award is a tuition-restricted award and in some cases can be used in conjunction with other tuition-restricted university discounts, scholarships, assistantships, waivers or grants. Please contact the Division of Mission & Ministry Scholarship Manager, Michael Van Dorpe, (MVANDORP@depaul.edu) if you have questions about how this award may impact your overall financial aid.
- An email will be sent to the addresses that you provide informing your references of the request. Once your reference logs into the Scholarship Connect, he or she will be able to provide the reference online. It is your responsibility to monitor your reference requests. You may click on “Manage Your References” on the “Home” page in the “Applications” box.