Carlos Hernandez Meritorious Endowed Award for Undergraduate Journalism
Awarded to a talented undergraduate student enrolled in the undergraduate journalism program in the College of Communication, the Carlos Hernandez Meritorious Endowed Award for Undergraduate Journalism provides tuition support for a student planning to accept a paid or unpaid internship in the field of journalism.
The Carlos Hernandez Meritorious Endowed Award for Undergraduate Journalism was established at DePaul University to honor the memory of noted Chicago journalist, Carlos Hernandez Gomez. Known for his trademark fedora and his vast knowledge of Illinois politics, Carlos covered local and national news stories for both CLTV and WBEZ-FM. He died of cancer on January 17, 2010 at the age of 36. Carlos had been a student at DePaul during the mid-1990’s, writing for the The DePaulia student newspaper and working as a disc jockey for WRDP radio (now Radio DePaul) during his tenure. It is the hope of the Carlos Hernandez Meritorious Scholarship in Journalism committee that this scholarship fund will help younger generations of talented DePaul students fulfill their aspirations to enter the field of journalism.
- Journalism major (preferred) - or -
- College of Communication major with either a Journalism or Latino Media and Communication minor
- Minimum Junior standing (at least 96 hours completed) or above
- Minimum 3.0 GPA Have successfully completed two of the four core Communication courses
- Have successfully completed at least two Journalism courses
- Demonstrate financial need (as indicated by the Office of Financial Aid)
The following criteria may also be considered:
- Whether a student is Latinx;
- A demonstrated a commitment to supporting or working with the Latinx community, including covering issues related to Latinx communities as a journalist;
- Dedication to furthering Latinx cultural activities or focusing on Latinx studies at DePaul.
Recipients of the Carlos Hernandez Meritorious Endowed Award for Undergraduate Journalism must either secure an approved internship for credit or verify a current approved internship via the College of Communication Internship Program for either Spring 2020 or Summer 2020. as well as concurrent enrollment in a corresponding College of Communication internship course. Funds will be applied to student accounts after verification is provided. Instructions will be provided after the initial award notification. If awardee is unable to secure an approved internship by the start of the Summer 2020 term, the award will be forfeited.
Please contact Shena Ramsay with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For detailed information on the College of Communication Internship Program, visit https://communication.depaul.edu/internships/Pages/default.aspx