Communication and Media Graduate Assistantship
The Communication and Media MA Program is looking for students who are interested in being graduate teaching assistants for the Fall, Winter and/or Spring Quarters of the 2020-21 Academic Year. Several positions are available, but applications are competitive. Positions may involve teaching or research related duties, at the discretion of their assigned Faculty member. Students who are selected for a GA position will receive a tuition waiver for one course ($3,040) in each quarter of the assistantship, as well as a quarterly stipend of $1,400. You would be expected to work about 100 hours per quarter.
Eligible students must:
• Be a current Communication and Media graduate student.
• Have completed at least 2 courses (8 credit hours) in the MA in Communication and Media Program prior to the start of Fall Quarter 2020
• Be enrolled in at least 4 credit hours during each quarter of the assistantship
• Be available in any of the Fall, Winter or Spring quarters (or specify which quarters you are available if not able to work during any of the three).
· *Students who are full time employees of DePaul University are not eligible.
Most graduate assistant (GA) positions are for one quarter, although in some cases the GA will shadow and support a professor in a Winter quarter undergraduate course (CMN 104 Public Speaking) and then teach their own undergraduate course in the Spring quarter. The GA will also hold responsibilities as the Graduate Communication Student Ambassador of the program and interact with prospective students.
To apply, students will need to upload an unofficial transcript, resume, and brief personal statement (statement guidelines below).
In a 500-word statement, please address the following:
- Explain why you’d like to be considered for a teaching or research assistantship and what aspects of your role as a graduate student are likely to positively influence your experience.
- Describe what personal qualities and work/volunteer experiences have prepared you for a teaching-related role in the classroom.
- Describe those educators who’ve positively influenced you and how you might try to incorporate those qualities in your own teaching.
- Describe what research skills and methodologies you are experienced in that you might bring to a research assistant role.
- List two faculty members here at DePaul that can comment about your preparedness as a graduate assistant.
Deadline: May 25th, 2020