DePaul Journalism Program/Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) Bootcamp
CSIS JOURNALISM BOOTCAMP – SUMMER 2021
The DePaul Journalism Program and the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), a bipartisan think tank, jointly offer a unique practicum experience in Summer 2021 to develop knowledge and skills in multimedia reporting and explanatory journalism.
We seek 10 talented students to represent DePaul in the CSIS Journalism Bootcamp, a virtual program that involves a week-long reporting project (July 16-23, 2021) to explore Section 230, social media, privacy concerns and content moderation.
Selected students will have an opportunity to interview world-renowned experts and interact with veteran journalists as well as top-level speakers on the subject matter. During the boot-camp week, DePaul students will work with CSIS’ iDeas Lab mentors via teleconferencing and produce an in-depth story package in multimedia (text, audio, video, data visualization). The reporting project will be published on the CSIS official website and shared with its networks of experts and journalists.
Continuing students participating in this program have the option of enrolling in a summer class (special topics/experiential learning) and earning credit for their contributions to the reporting project.
More details about the program: https://journalism.csis.org/
Previous project completed by DePaul students in Spring 2020: https://journalism.csis.org/is-ecocide-inevitable-in-the-worlds-most-contested-sea/
Intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYs4ebbdgU
- Excellent reporting, writing and editing skills
- Excellent collaboration skills
Plus any of the following:
- Strong video skills
- Strong audio skills
- Strong data visualization skills
Applicants must provide a resume, cover letter and two journalistic work samples. Selected students must be available for the duration of the virtual boot-camp program (July 16-23, 2021).
- Be committed to attend the virtual journalism boot-camp program between July 16 and July 23, 2021
- Upload a cover letter detailing your interest in this project.
- Upload a resume with a summary of your reporting experience and relevant skills (including multimedia and production).
- include a link to your professional portfolio. (If you do not have an online portfolio, you can upload them here, one at a time. As much as possible, please avoid submitting audio, video, or large data files. Post them on SoundCloud, YouTube or other hosted services/platforms and submit the URLs instead).
For additional information or inquiries, please contact Prof. Hai Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org.